During winter in the Northeast, your safety on the roads is not to be overestimated. One night of snowfall can be enough to render our streets, highways, and parking lots too dangerous for any driver. It’s when the weather is at its most frightening, and the snow and ices accumulate, that we realize just how much our car insurance means to us.
At our independent agency, we’re acutely aware of the value of car insurance, whether you’re living in Bensalem, PA or the busy city of Philadelphia. With our loyal customers and all drivers in mind, we wanted to discuss how you can minimize risk while maximizing your safety behind the wheel this winter of 2018:
- Rest up, before bucking up. Be it the middle of a cold winter night or an early morning in January, always refrain from driving if you’re feeling especially fatigued. Your chances of entering an automobile accident drastically increase when you’re feeling exhausted in the driver’s seat.
- Heat up your vehicle outside. Convenient as it may be, do not warm up your car inside of an enclosed space like a garage. All gas-powered vehicles spew out deadly exhausts, carbon monoxide being the deadliest. Before long, the exhaust from an idling vehicle will pose a danger.
- Stay updated on the weather. If you’re planning to embark on a long-distance car ride, one that’ll take hours or veer down more barren roadways, be aware of the weather that is forecasted. If you cannot afford to delay your drive, take the safest route possible and inform others of your commute.
- Increase your driving distance. In ideal driving conditions, it’s generally recommended that you maintain a distance of at least three to four seconds behind other drivers on the road. When roads get slippery, slushy, and icy, you should more than double the distance to eight to ten seconds.
- Adjust your acceleration slowly. When your tires lose traction, do not panic. Apply the gas slowly, avoiding skidding and swerving into opposing lanes of traffic. By accelerating and decelerating with patience, you’ll wield greater control of your vehicle and stay much calmer for it.
Here at Freedom Insurance Group, Inc., we care about your comfort and your coverage as a PA driver. Contact us today about saving on your car insurance in Philadelphia, PA, and surrounding areas.